The Baseball Ontario Umpires Committee is pleased to announce an exciting new certification process that will be coming in 2023 for Level 1 and 2 umpires, combining both virtual and in-person training.
Level 1 & 2 Certification process
Level 1 and 2 umpire registration will open in mid-February. There will be up to 3 components to certification:
- Complete a virtual Umpire Learning Course.
- Attend an in-person, locally hosted Developing Umpire Camp.
- *If 18 or older, complete Baseball Ontario volunteer screening requirements as outlined on the Baseball Ontario website and in the ONDeck app
Specific details and registration links will be sent to local associations by mid-February.
What is the Umpire Learning Course?
All Level 1 and 2 umpires will complete a virtual Umpire Learning Course that:
- Will contain a series of interactive, independent learning modules
- Is designed to be self-directed and self-paced, taking approximately 2 hours in total to complete
- Covers rules, mechanics, and positioning considerations for umpires
- Is designed for each umpire’s specific level
What is the Developing Umpire Camp?
All Level 1 and 2 umpires will also attend a Baseball Ontario Umpire Camp that will be:
- 4 hours in length
- Held in a gym or indoor field facility
- Hosted by local associations
- Fun and active, with an emphasis on game situations and umpiring fundamentals
- Attended by both Level 1 and 2 umpires in a combined setting
- Run by two Baseball Ontario Clinicians, ensuring that content is still differentiated by level where needed
Why the Change
We are committed to providing greater practical training to our developing umpires. Having Level 1 and 2 umpires attend 4-hour Developing Umpire Camps together will:
- Provide more date options for umpires to attend their in-person requirement
- Allow feedback from two different clinicians during the event
- Ensure sufficient numbers of participants to run effective drills and game scenarios
- Provide annual practice of fundamental umpiring skills that are common to all levels
- Continue to allow for differentiation of learning by level through the use of two clinicians in-person, and through level-specific content delivered through the online Umpire Learning Course.
- Provide a high-energy, fun program for all developing umpires
As always, we are here to help! Any questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org